The town:

Other Monuments
lens

Inserisci un termine per iniziare la tua ricerca.

The old town hall was destroyed and the new building was completed in 1557 by Antonio Penari of Como and by Gerolamo Genga. The bell tower (32.3m) with the "big bell" is by Gerolamo Onori of Sassoferrato (1561).

 

Town Hall

On the beautiful façade is the coat of arms in stone of Pope Urban VIII; the portal in travertine is from 1620, in the centre the epigraph recalls the elevation of Urbania to the rank of city and diocese (1636) upon the wishes of the same pope. In the entrance hall of the palace are the coats of arms of the dukes of Urbino. Along the walls of the council chamber on the first floor, memorial tablets recall the principal events of the city, including one dedicated to Guidantonio, count of Casteldurante (c.1424) and one in honour of count Bernardino Ubaldini, famous benefactor. In 2011 the façade and clock were restored.

Palazzo del Monte di Pietà

Very near the town hall, on via Ugolini, this palace is attributed to Gerolamo Genga. It was erected in 1512 with the endowment of Duchess Elizabetta Gonzaga to help the poor and to combat usury.

 

Ponte dei Cocci (Cocci Bridge)

The bridge was thus named for its ceramic workshops which were nearby and because, according to tradition, the ceramists left their earthenware (cocci) to dry on the parapets of the bridge. From here one faces the Ponte dei Fantini with its bold arch of 1866 and its striking view. These two bridges are the best known view of Urbania.

 

Ponte del Riscatto - Remains of the octagonal "Tempietto del Bramante"

It was thus called due to the presence of an antique rotunda erected for devotion to the Madonna Del Riscatto (of redemption) or Del Mercede (reward). The construction no longer exists and was situated above an arch between the rock and the bridge, where, in 1482 the young architect Bramante is said to have constructed an octagonal temple. Damaged in the Second World War the temple was destroyed and badly reconstructed. From the bridge there is a splendid view of the ducal palace on the Metauro. A few metres away begins the oldest part of the town (Porta Celle was here and immediately afterwards the church of the dead where the mummies are kept).

 

Piazza San Cristoforo and the obelisk

At one time called the village piazza, in the centre is the column to San Cristoforo in the very spot where the statue rose to Pope Clement XIV. The obelisk, at the top of which is the statue to the patron saint, was erected by the people of Urbania in 1870 as a votive offering for the earthquake of 1781 and for the cholera epidemic of 1855. The gesso modelling of the statue is by Achille Stocchi, the fusion in bronze by Cesare Castri, while the column was sculpted by Antonio Pierini and designed by Mariano Raffaelli.

 

Public gardens - FOUNTAIN - First World war memorial

The present public gardens, former "Park of Remembrance" is in the old "cattle yard" where in 1889 a stone fountain was placed. After the First World War the town administration wanted to commemorate its dead with a monument by architect Mario Egidi De Angelis in 1926. It was conceived as a columbarium of severe lines, yet resembling Roman lictors.